Sunday, May 11, 2008

Jans Gator

One of the mornings Jan & I had dropped the team off already and had been out running an errand. On the road that runs north from the school there was something on the side of the road. As we approached I slowed down as there was no other traffic. And it looked like someone had run over a gator. So Jan decides to get out and get a closer look. Not a wise choice says her husband, cause that gator may be friends with the possum. Now we had been a squabbling some during most of the trip and she had just about enough of her husbands "wisdom" as it were. So up close she gets and snaps a few photo's. Now I am alert and keeping a close eye on the gators eyes and nostrils and very alert for the slightest motion. In my mind I'm thinking at least we're not near a water way cause if it clamps on her on dry land I have a bit of a chance. In water of any depth there would be mostly no chance. So after the photo shoot back in the car she gets with a (I like to think) self satisfied "see thats a dead gator". OK. could be. Dang but I hate to eat my own words. That is until about an hour later when we were driving back by when I said, "Hey Honey, Where's your dead gator?" Now I did not get the response I was expecting and some of you husbands out there will understand. She looked a little ashen, as she just realized the danger she may have been in, and she got silent. Yep, felt like a heal, heal time it is for sure.
Now how to fix this. Brilliance strikes. Hey Honey, you know that in this part of the country most of the folks may be like your brother Mark. They see a dead gator along the road and they are thinking gator steaks or new boots or something. From her a relieved "Really? you think so?" Yea, remember the turtle story the girls told about Mark running over a turtle and them having turtle soup for supper? Well this is got to be the same thing. Sure. Mental note to self - do not scare the beeswax out of your wife should you want her to enjoy a missions experiance, otherwise you may be spending more alone time than you would actually care too. Included in my prayer time that day were words to the effect of "thank you Lord for keeping Jan safe, thank you Lord for keeping her by my side, and forgive me Lord for picking on her in the first place and for the fib to help cover it up".
Next post: Witnessing.

No comments: