Friday, May 23, 2008

Utah part 1

The Utah mine disaster was my first official call out with the AZ DRT. Some mighty impressive things happened on this mission. Its not until now that I can more clearly see the hand of our Lord at work. Not just for the 10 day mission, but the years of preperation for it. This will take several parts to do the witness justice. See, several years ago I had drifted away from the church, worse the Lord. Having been born and raised a catholic (see no ones perfect) and going thru my first communion in MS, I knew of Jesus and God. But coming from an unequally yoked family did not help. Only when in need did I turn to the Lord. Maybe a little more when I was in the Army jumping out of airplanes. And on several occasions after becoming a nurse, mostly over patients who were close to going home to the Lord. Our Lord is patient with us, He kept calling me and I finally accepted the call in a small church in Marshall, MO. Tears, snot, broken heart, the whole deal. I felt the crushing sin I had placed on the Lord on the cross for me. Jan & I later returned to Tucson and for awhile attended our current church, only to drift away. The problem with drifting is the Lord will raise His hand of protection until you look around and say "Hey where'd ya go Lord?" Well I can tell you, He didn't go anywhere. I did. To a dark place. To a place I do not recommend. To a place that tried to kill me. Of my own doing. So one day during monsoon, standing on the trailer, holding onto the large metal swamp cooler, watching a very intense lightening storm come at me (have I mentioned yet I'm mostly Polish). I decide to challenge God. Screaming at Him. Cursing at Him. Now I don't know if you know it or not but lightening can travel several miles in a strike, carries more voltage than necessary to crisp a crazy polish boy on a roof, and when it strikes close enough will send you to your knees out of shear reflex. On my knees is where I needed to be. It is where I heard that still quiet voice say "You want to come home? Go back to the church I put you in, complete the duties I have for you, then you can come home." So back to Flowing Wells Baptist Chruch. To the breakfast ministry. To the 3 fold passage of "feed my sheep". To find missions, most specifically - disaster relief. To engage in the necessary training. All the ups and downs. All in preperation to serve. He knew I would need all of this in Utah. I found out also. That, and you absolutely need to have a close relationship to Christ. To depend on Him for all things daily, sometimes minute by minute. That you are not alone. You have Christ. You have brothers and sisters in Christ. You get to choose.

Next post: Utah part 2 - the trip up.

No comments: