Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Working as a team

One of the hardest things to accomplish with a diversity of individuals is team work. Unless, Christ is the true leader, then things fall more easily into place. Most of the time you have no lack of individuals who want to be in charge which makes for conflict. And then you have folks like me. So dad burn excited to be there they just want to try everything. Let me take the time here to humble myself and confess. See I owe a sister in Christ an appology. I did not smoothly allow her excitement the same easy access I was allowed in Utah. I was a bore. A grumpy old man. And more than a bit snippy. If you should find yourself with these less than Christ like attitudes, do what I did not do until too late. Hit your knees at the altar and pray until they pass. But back to Utah. After saying good morning to Fuzzy and stepping out into the sunshine, the place was buzzing with activity. Now we were set up on a church property which was being maintained by the local association. Deep in Mormon country, the congregation and pastor had not been able to make a go of it. At the national level southern baptists have 2 primary team mates. 1st is the american red cross. 2nd is the salvation army. All 3 would be involved here in Utah. Our sleeping quarters were in the church, the kitchen was set up in the parking lot along with the supply trailer, the dry box trailer and the refer trailer. The fellowship hall of the church was were the command center was, along with our dining/meeting room. The shower trailer was set up out back. Man was I excited to be there. Sleepyness was gone. What I should of done, did not do, was to check in with the blue cap to find out who I had been assigned to and check with them as to what duties I had been assigned. Mr excitement here took one look around and jumped with both feet. Airborne! The washing station needed a little help, then the cook on the fish cookers, then warehouse, then main kitchen, then, then, then, I was all over. God bless my brothers and sisters for tolerating me. I loved it all. All positions are vital to one another. Teamwork is essential. So too is Leadership. There is a lead cook for a reason. They report to the blue cap for a reason. Who in turn reports to the white cap for a reason. The more effective the leadership, the more effective the teamwork leeds to more effective productivity. We were here for a reason. In the name of Christ to ease the burden of those living the situation and those responding to the situation. If we were not cooking, we were cleaning up. Done with that we were preparing for the next meal. I would bet that everyone was like me in sending up prayers throughout the day. Waiting on the next situation report. And at night coming together to have group prayer, devotional and team meeting. That first night I crashed. Hard. Good thing cause over the next several nights I would hardly sleep at all. Parts of 3 teams were involved. Utah, Idaho & Arizona. Folks from all over. Men and women. The youngest was 20 something, the oldest 80 something. I hope to learn how to post photo's so you can see more clearly what I am saying. Cause you see, to me, these disaster call outs are like the local church. Or more like what the local church should be. If you consider we live in the midst of a lost, dying world, we should come to it in the name of Christ to ease the burden of the lost, by example show them the love of Christ, encourage them to turn to Christ. And in so doing we would be the responders to the situation, not just sitting back with our 'fire' insurance card, but assisting the team.

I would catch glimses of Fuzzy throughout the day. Man, what an inspiration. Helping. Serving. Even keeled. Constantly on the move. Meeting everyone. Just possibly the most Christ like man I have ever met. Thank you Lord.

Next post: Write it down.

No comments: