Saturday, May 24, 2008

Utah - the trip up

I had found myself for some time being a news junkie. It allowed me to pray for folks I did not know, for situations I had little experiance in, for our country as a whole. Truth be told, I had an almost overwhelming desire to go and help. When the news broke about the mine colapse, once again it seemed the country was coming together in prayer. It allowed in places conversations about prayer and God that one would not normally be allowed to bring up, work, business, neighbors, etc.. The flash went out from the Arizona Southern Baptist Convention - Disaster Relief web site. I responded as led by the Holy Spirit. It felt like the time we went on alert in the Army. The whole division of the 101st Airborne. Loaded for bear, sitting on the tarmac waiting to board the C-130's. We were going to defend Israel. Exciting yes, Scary yes, a job trained for and now being called on to do. Lord use me. Except there would be no C-130's this day. My truck with a broken lifter rod would not make Utah. So I would need to hitch a ride. This will be a long trip and my 1st introduction to Fuzzy. Fuzzy & I played phone tag for awhile, but finally made arraingements for him to pick me up around 2pm from my work place. Fuzzy was an old guy. Shoot I was 52 at the time, but I remember thinking 'this trip could be interesting'. He reminded me of an ole farmer, slow to speak, hard to read. This was going to be a lot different than my daily contacts and would you look at that. His truck was just like mine. Well except his was working and well stocked for just about anything that might come along. On the way to Phoenix was mostly get to know you conversation, not that Fuzzy was chatty by any means. And the trip was going faster than I had suspected upon 1st seeing him. Now on a trip I usually have the map out close by, refer to it, and keep track of where I'm at. Fuzzy just drove. When I asked him, his response was "well, I been this way a few times". From Phoenix up to the State line is where I found out Fuzzy had been in mining most of his life. Had in fact been the leader for a rescue team. Underground mining. Like what we were heading towards. I came to understand 2 things on this part of the trip. I had not understood the grim reality of the situation fully, and God places people in your path for a reason. Now up around Page is where Fuzzy scared me. Ummm brother Fuzzy did you know the speed limit dropped to 35 a little ways back? Oh, thanks he says. Then tells me a story about a grandson "we be good grandpa, we be good.". Now being a big guy, I hate seat belts. Yeah, I know, the law. But this was a long trip and its dark. I had just told Fuzzy the speed limit again when I saw a patrol car flip a U in the medium and take off. After us. Dang - where is that seat belt. Good thing we were wearing out yellow shirts and hats with the disaster relief logo. Good thing it was Fuzzy driving and talking to the officer. Good thing the officer was simpathetic towards the folks in Utah. A lighter slap on the wrist I have not seen. Answered prayer is what it was. The seat belt stayed on for a good long while. Wonder what all those red streaks are on the road. Man, thats alot of them. Ok Lord, Utah is starting to freak me out a little cause that looks like a lot of blood to me. One set went on for miles. Then we caught up to the truck picking up dead deer from the sides of the road. OK. Don't see that, ever. And thats when we meet them. A whole herd. Scattered all over the road, chatting or whatever deer do while standing in the middle of the road. Good thing Fuzzy was driving. Cause I don't think my reflexes are that quick. Didn't even tap one, not that I couldn't have petted a few as we went by, had my window been rolled down. Ok Lord, Utah is really starting to freak me out. We had been on the road a long time. 14 hours or so. Hunnington is not all that big, really. We find the church after a few turn arounds unpack just enough to bed down. Another first. Sleeping in the church, well at least on a pallet on the floor. Takes me awhile to get settled with my C=pap breathing machine and fall asleep. Thank you Lord. Please Lord, stop them folk from coming in and out and waking me up. But I managed about 4 hours before finally giving up and getting up. Well, lets see what the Lord has in mind for this day. Now be quiet, cause Fuzzy is still sleeping. If I'm this tired, that old guy must be. So I open the door to the church and meet on his way in - Fuzzy. Who had been up and working, for awhile. Now I don't think he actually said it, but in my mind I destinctly heard, "bout time you was up".

Next post: working as a team.

No comments: